Established by Neva Cochran, Champions for Families provides the support all children deserve to enjoy a safe, secure and happy life. Neva's interest in child abuse prevention was inspired by the focus of Kappa Delta, her sorority, on this issue as one of its national philanthropies.

Champions for Children was established in 2023 and members are recognized on this page. By becoming a member, you partner with Family Compass to build strong families in our community, successfully and consistently breaking cycles of child abuse and neglect. We sincerely thank Neva for her role in creating the Champions for Families and invite you to show support by becoming a member.

 


Neva Cochran

    As an award-winning registered dietitian nutritionist, Neva has served as a nutrition communications consultant for over 30 years, partnering with food, nutrition and agricultural organizations to promote positive, accurate nutrition messages to help people to “eat beyond the headlines” and enjoy a variety of nutritious foods. She believes all families deserve access to safe and nutritious food and the resources and tools to purchase, prepare and eat healthful meals. This corresponds very well with her passion for Family Compass and its commitment to building healthy families and a strong North Texas community by preventing child abuse and neglect.

 


Kappa Delta Partnership

    In 1972, Kappa Delta member Donna Stone founded Prevent Child Abuse America. Since 1981, funds from the annual Shamrock events hosted by collegiate and alumnae chapters have benefitted child abuse prevention organizations across the country. As of 2023, over $33 million has been raised, with 80% being donated to child abuse prevention agencies in each chapter's local community. The remaining 20% is donated to the Kappa Delta Foundation, as an annual gift to PCA America on behalf of all KD chapters. Family Compass has long been Richardson Plano Kappa Delta Alumnae Chapter’s (RPKDAC) local recipient. The original support initiated in 1981 when RPKDAC member, Kay Walgren, was a board member of another agency that merged with Family Compass in 2014. The legacy of Kappa Delta's partnership lives on to this day. Neva has been involved with the RPKDAC’s Shamrock fundraiser since 1989, serving as Chair in 1993 and as President of the overseeing Kappa Delta Dallas Charities Board in 1993 – 1994. In addition to fundraising, RPKDAC has been involved with service activities for Family Compass for many years. These include stuffing backpacks full of school supplies, collecting diapers, and creating Valentine's Day gift bags for families served, and more. Family Compass honored RPKDAC with the 2022 North Star Award for its longtime and ongoing support.
  • Members

    • Anonymous
    • Neva Cochran
    • Beth and Chuck Thoele