Make a difference in the life of a child! There are many ways to get involved with Family Compass. Whether you participate as an advocate, or help organize an adopt-a-family drive, a direct impact is made on the children and families we serve.
To volunteer for Family Compass, you are required to fill out an application, complete a background check and attend a volunteer orientation. Upon completion you will be contacted by the Family Compass to schedule an interview with you to discuss the program and the volunteer opportunities in more depth. For more information about volunteering at Family Compass, please contact Sheryldine Samuel, Director of Community Education and Outreach at email@example.com.
2013 Volunteer Orientation Dates:
- February 11, 2013
- April 8, 2013
- June 10, 2013
- August 12, 2013
- October 14, 2013
- December 9, 2013
Orientations are held from 6:00-7:00 p.m. at Family Compass located in East Dallas.
Community Education and Outreach Programs
Family Compass provides educational and outreach programs throughout the community:
- Bringing Families Together: The program seeks to prevent the cycle of abuse for vulnerable families by reducing family and parental isolation through groups that provide support networks, teach positive parenting skills, and provide access to community resources.
- Community Education: Educational classes to high schools, day care providers, community-based organizations, faith communities and professional agencies. Parenting classes through community partnership with organization Resolana.
- Families First program works to help parents understand the effects of divorce on their children and how to protect their children during this time.
Home Mentoring Programs
Family Compass provides in-home services to at-risk families throughout Dallas County:
- Parent Aide Program: Teaches high-risk parents positive parenting skills, effective discipline techniques, and healthy stress management techniques. Case Managers connect parents to community resources and help build strong parent-child relationships. Services are available for a period of two years, free of charge.
- Healthy Families Program: Teaches first-time pregnant and parenting teens how to take care of their babies. Family Support Workers focus on nurturing parent-child interactions, healthy childhood growth and development, and strong family functioning. Parents are encouraged to obtain regular medical care and immunizations for their children and to complete their educational and/or vocational goals. Services are available until the child’s fifth birthday, free of charge
Diaper Drive/Safety Item Drive
The Family Compass provides the surrounding community the opportunity to host donation drives as a service to our clients. Our clients struggle financially and this is one way we can help relieve their financial burden.
During the holidays, Family Compass donors have the opportunity to adopt families who otherwise wouldn't be able to provide gifts for their children. We will provide updated "Wish Lists" from families in need beginning in late-October. Adopt-a-Family makes a great family or group project for people of all ages! For more information and to participate in the Adopt-a-Family program, click here.
Family Compass is seeking highly motivated individuals with experience and fanatical passion for social media. The purpose of E-CAP volunteers is to help promote and spread Family Compass’s mission to a broader audience, and you can help by getting involved for only a few minutes each week! This virtual volunteer position can be done from any location with access to a computer and internet access.
The Family Compass hosts a variety of special events throughout the year including the Celebrity Waiter Gala and Family Compass Classic Golf Tournament.